Skip to main content

The Journey Through Book



Nirjala Adhikari
I was in the photography class. The day was cold and gloomy, one of the coldest days of that winter. Our photography teacher was quite new to the institution from where I completed my bachelor.  And that was the second day he was taking class to us. He was just explaining about the history of photography meanwhile he told us- he can tell our future by looking at our face. All my friends were quite eager to stand in front of him to know about their future. They stood in front of him one by one. And he told them, “you are going to be a teacher, professor, government officer, tv journalist, social worker so and so. I was not in the mood to be in front of him but one of my friends forced me. I stood in front him suddenly he said to me –“ you are going to be a shopkeeper”. Although shopkeeper is not a bad word  I felt bad that day. Simply, I felt bad. “Am I going to be a shopkeeper?” I asked myself time and again. And the funny thing is that while growing up I never thought or imagined to be a shopkeeper even in my wildest, craziest and most bizarre fantasies.  Suddenly I felt like – “ I am in hell. I am in that place where I never able to belong”.  This is the incident of my life which made me realize an outsider of the whole education system and professionals but at the same time I never able to navigate the journey of my life beyond books.
Now I am exploring my journey from my childhood. I am going back for almost twenty years. I was a quite good student in school. Good in a sense that I was hardworking. I used to think that academic is the only thing which takes me into the next level. My mom used to tell me education is like a river it takes you in an unimagined journey of life. And her words used to inspire me a lot to navigate that journey.   
Me and my brother, more than siblings we are good friends. And that friendship has a deep connection with our education. He was very fast learner unlike me. He was very good in mathematics and science unlike me. But when it comes to hardwork I am always hardworking one. Laborious one. But I never got good marks like him in my school days. And that used to bother me a lot. I used to think how without any effort he is always good not me. That is the first thing that used to bother me when I was in my school.
However, I had a habit of reading a lot because of my mom’s saying, “ it takes you in a long journey.” That never faded from my mind. I was hardworking so teacher also loved me a lot. So, I used to think without books I couldn’t navigate that unimagined journey. So, reading became like my habit. I started loving books not only coursebook but also the books of literature. And my dream changed according to the age and periods of time. In school days, like my mom, I used to think if I couldn’t love the books then I will be nowhere. That time I aspired to be a newsreader like Rama Singh. So, I used to think books are the only thing which helps me to pursue that dream.  
Although I used to believe that book is the only thing that takes me in a long happy journey of life, there are many bitter experiences which made me quite pessimistic about the happy journey through books. And the day when my photography teacher said, “you are going to be a shopkeeper” is one of them. Actually more than anything else, that day he shattered my belief, that unshakable belief over the power of books and knowledge. That day when I returned home I couldn’t open my books and the same thing, “you are going to be a shopkeeper” hunted me time and again. Firstly, I became angry with him because I thought that who the hell he is to decide or to predict my future. Secondly, I felt like maybe he will be right indeed he is our teacher, he is more experienced and mature than us. A kind of insecurity with books and academics started hunting me. And it took a long time for me to be free from that bitter experience. I was more affected by that experience because at that time I was in my late teenage. In fact, I was not in the age to figure out someone’s opinion and prediction has nothing to do with my future and my love for books.
My love for books is growing through time although sometimes I hate the circumstances which occur due to the same journey. For example, when we are in university we learn to dream. Suddenly when we go out of the university we find the quite opposite world. And our bookish knowledge and intelligent seems like an alienated entity.  Sometimes I can’t give pragmatic decisions because my world is more connected with the book. However, love for book and my belief in the power of knowledge never betrayed me. I can’t deny the fact that there are some incidents which made me confused about whether I follow my instinct to follow the journey of books or not. But those incidents made me more determined to follow my instinct. That’s why I always consider the photography teacher is the person who turned my life. Although for a while he made me fractured, shattered indeed that was the turn who said me there are still people who can judge or predict you through your appearance or outer personality but that is not the ultimate reality. It’s already been seven years when he said to me you are going to be a shopkeeper but now the reality is quite different. Neither I have been shopkeeper nor I am dreaming to be a shopkeeper or business person.
So, I already said that I have a love-hate relationship with books. Sometimes it took me in the journey where I never dreamt to be. Sometimes it made me dissatisfied because it teaches me to dream but all the dreams didn’t turn as a reality. However books are books, it never let you down. I want to conclude with my mom’s words books are like rivers it takes you in a long unimagined journey of life. I am traveling the same journey, the journey through books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

नग्नता

  निर्जला अधिकारी ओछ्यानमा नाङ्गो पल्टिएको छु । जीउँका कपडाहरु लथालिङ्ग कोठाभरी छरीएका छन् । एकछिनअघि आगोझै तातेको शरीर सेलाएर चिसो भएको छ । शरीर शिथिल भएको छ र मन पनि । एक खाले ग्लानी मनभरी फैलीएको छ । तृप्त भएर पनि नभएझै आँखाभरी अनौठो सान्नाटाँ छाएको छ ।  उ गैसकेकी छ । शरीरमा अब रोमाञ्चकता बाकी छैन । छ त केवल  एक गाल्नी । शरीर नाङ्गो छ । नग्नता कुरुप हो वा सुन्दर मलाई थाहा छैन । तर किनकिन आफैलाई नियाल्दा आफै तर्सिदैछु । लाग्दैछ आजबाट म जो थिएँ त्यो रहिन । हिजोसम्म जसलाई म खराब ठान्थेँ आज म त्यहि खराब मानिस भएको छु । भोली आइतबार हो...... बिहानै उठेर गर्नुपर्ने कामको अर्को चाङ छ । र पनि आफैले आफैलाई सम्झाउँन सकेको छैन । कसरी केही मिनेटको सुखको लागि म आफ्ना पुराना सिद्वान्तहरुलाई एकाएक त्यागिदिन सक्छु । के सबै मानिसले शरीरको सुखको लागि सिद्वान्तको बोरा ओड्दैनन् । वा म त्यहि मानिसको जमात हँु जसको सिद्वान्त बन्द कोठाभित्र पस्ने बित्तिकै एकाएक मलिन हुन्छ । मैले कहिल्यै सोचेको थिइन, मैले पहिलोपटक कसैले चुम्ने काम शरीरको लागि मात्र गर्नेछु । हिजोसम्म मेरा लागि प्रेमको कसि पहिलो  र शरीर

मसिना कुरा –भाग ७

  दिन घमाइलो छ । आकाश खुल्ला छ । मानिसहरुको चहलपहल केही बाक्लो छ । पुजाकोठाबाट धुपको बास्नाले सडक र गल्लिहरु महकिँदै छन् । आजको बिहानी सोचेझै शान्त छैन । एकखाले चहलपहल हिजो देखीनै कायम छ । झ्यालमा बसेर बाहिर निहाल्दै छु । महिलाहरुमा बिसेष उत्साह छ, बिहानै नुहाएको कपाल फिजाउँदै दुवो र फूल टिप्दैमा उनीहरु मस्त छन् । यो तीजको बिहानी हो, आज टोल, छिमेक र सडक शान्त बन्न चाहेर पनि बन्न सक्दैन । आजबाट असोज लागेको छ । मौसममा चिसोपन बढ्न थालेको छ । बिस्तारै सयपत्रि र मखमली फूल्न थाल्नेछन् । हावामा सयपत्रिको महक मिस्निेछ । मलाई कहिलेकाही यो सब बारे सोचिबस्दा कुनै चक्रझै लाग्छ । हरेक बर्ष यसरी नै चाडबाडहरु भित्रने गर्छन् र यसरी नै हामीलाई लाग्छ यो कुनै नौलो चाड होइन र पनि नौलो हो । कहिलेकाही लाग्छ यी चाडबाडहरुलाई म अबलोकन मात्र गर्छु । म यसमा प्रत्यक्ष सहभागीता जनाउँदिन । हिजो जस्तो थियो मेरो लागि आज पनि उही हो । यति हो बाहिर हेर्दा अल्लि फरकझै लाग्छ । भर्खरै चियाको गिलास रित्ताएको छु । औलाहरु किबोडमा छन्, सिध्याउनुपर्ने काम चाङ लागेको छ । र पनि मलाई यसरी अक्षरहरुमा पोखिन रमाइलो लाग्छ ।  गर्

अन्त्य

 अन्त्य निर्जला अधिकारी यो यात्राको अन्त्य होइन । न सुरुवात हो । वा यो  उसले भनेझै जीवनको अप्रत्याशितताको उपज पनि हुनसक्छ । थाहा छैन यो के हो ...... जे पनि हुनसक्छ । सम्बन्धलाई धागोले नाप्न खोज्ने हो भने यो केही होइन । ऊ अब सदाका लागी टाढा जाँदैछ । म पनि अलबिदा भन्दैछु शुभकामनाका साथ । यो उसको अन्तिम बिदाई  होइन तर उसको र मेरो सम्बन्धको बिदाई भने पक्कै हो । थाहा छैन त्यो पनि होइन की । म दुबिधामा छु, भावनाहरु उर्लीएका छन् तर शब्द छैनन् । अन्त्यमा म लेख्छु “धन्यबाद, मैले तिमीलाई भेट,े यो भर्चुअल संसारमा भौतिक संसारमा नभएपनि । म खुसी छु र हुनेछु” ...... मेरो अन्तिम डिएम उसको लागी यही थियो  । उसले लभ रियाक्ट गर्यो । र यो हाम्रो अन्तिम संवाद रहने कुरा जनायो ऊ भोलीपल्टबाट टुइटरको संसारबाट बिदा लिदैँ थियो ।  जुन उसको र मेरो सम्बन्धको अन्तिम यर्थाथ थियो । म उस्लाई यो यर्थाथलाई बदलौ भन्न पनि सक्दैनथेँ । मेरो लागी टुइटरको दुनियामा भेटेको र त्यहीबाट छुटेको ऊ पहिलो र अन्तिम ब्यक्ति होइन । र पनि बिशेष पक्कै हो । म उसलाई यो ढुङ्गा माटोको संसारमा भेटेपनि चिन्नेछैन । म खोज्दै हिटेपनि भेट्ने छै