Skip to main content

That's Why I Write

“When I am too sad and too skinny to keep keeping, when I am a tiny thing against so many bricks, then it is I look at trees. When there is nothing left to look at on this street. Four who grew despite concrete. Four who reach and do not forget to reach. Four whose only reason is to be and be.” When I read it, I feel as if it is written for me. Like those skinny trees, I also grew up despite concrete. Like skinny trees, I always feel an outsider in the group people. Like them, I always feel tiny. And I am one whose only reason is to be and be.
I  am one, who never loved by the mass. I am one, who always sits at the corner and thinks about her own stuffy world. Considers herself so boring. So idiosyncratic. Sometimes I think that I have to write my own story. The story of my ugliness. The story of my unbelongingness. The story of my hard work. The story of my pain. The story of my uniqueness. But I am not a good writer. Most of the time, I write about myself. I tell my own stories. I tell my own secrets because there is nothing worth to tell about others. I never have any good experience with an outer world. Any pleasant experience at all. People always considered me badly born, ugly, someone who is good for nothing. Sometimes they questioned over my size, sometimes over my colour, sometimes on my nature. So, I want to make my own story. Story of my own journey. And one day I will have a story to inspire my daughter.
From childhood, I always like to tell stories. One day I will tell a story about a girl who didn’t want to belong. Or people did not include her in their dictionary. Because of her tiny body, black complexion and her idiosyncratic nature. But people are unknown about her own mental journey. Innocent girl to mature girl. Stereotypical to a self-conscious girl. If you think she is other than you are wrong. She is me.
Similarly, sometimes I think that I am here to listen to many bitter words. Sometimes grandmother told me that you wouldn’t get a good life partner because of your outlook. When I listened to those things, sometimes I felt bad. Mostly I kept quiet and wrote something. But  I feel there is a limitation of language too. We cannot able to express in words what we exactly feel at the movement. Recently one night I CRIED CRIED N CRIED whole night or up to morning. Most of the time I don't want to show my tears to others, it is a ridiculous job. It is something people don’t want to see.
Sometimes I feel that I have a different journey of life. And If I WRITE those things, it might resemble other's life too. But mostly I write all the stuffy experiences of my life. That is only to express me. Only to explore me. Nothing more nothing less.
Instead of that, I am that person who never imagined to be good, excellent in any area. So, I ALWAYS imagine my life would be like that, “Not a flat. Not an apartment in the back. Not a man’s house. Not a daddy’s. A house all my own. With my porch and my pillow, my pretty purple petunias. My books and my stories. My two shoes waiting beside the bed. Nobody to shake a stick at. Nobody’s garbage to pick up after.” But it is fiction, there is a vast difference between life and fiction. But I always found myself in Esperanza, the main protagonist of THE HOUSE ON MANGO STREET.  If someone asks me which character of the fiction that you read is similar to you I always say Esperanza. I identify myself with her. Like her, I achieved my maturity by observing the girls of my surroundings, but I never wanted to be like them. Never feel a sense of belonging where I am living. Judgemental. Story wRIter. Poet. Like her, I am an ugly daughter. I am one nobody comes for. This is the one never-ending dialogue which my relatives have been telling me since my childhood. Sometimes I tell if nobody comes then I will live the happiest life. Like Esperanza, I have begun my own quiet war. Simple, Sure. I am one who leaves the table like man, without putting back the chair or picking up the plate. But the people call me a feminist. Some people call me a radical feminist. But literally, I enjoy it in a sense that I have awareness about my status in my own community and society.
There is one situation in the novel, “The House on Mango Street which I like most, when Esperanza’s aunt tells her, “You just remember to keep writing, Esperanza. You must keep writing. It will keep you free, and I said yes, but at that time I didn’t know what she meant.” I like it because it is so near to my heart. Because I also feel that I write so I am free from my own bad or evil experiences. I ponder all my insecurities, bad fortune and all those things in the paper. I almost write all my life. But mostly I write when I feel bad when my friends hurt me when they ignore me when relatives say no one comes for you because you are ugly when people say you do not get a job because of your physical structure. When my brother says you are good for nothing. I usually write when I overcome these circumstances. I write because I have no one so close to telling those things. So, pen and paper give me full freedom to express myself. Sometimes I CRY with them. Sometimes I laugh. Without them, I am nobody and my life is nothing. Sometimes I think this beautiful habit will make me a different person. I know, one day my parents will be proud of me. It will stop the mouth of my relatives. But for that, I  have to cross my own silent journey. The journey from silence to silence. I know, writing is not an easy task. It needs devotion and hard work. It is like a journey of life that we learn out of our own mistakes. It demands lots of hard work. But I never frighten with hard work.
Today I almost write my whole life. I write a lot of things about myself. Good or bad. Pleasant or worse. Cheerful or depressing one.
At last, I want to say, I like to tell stories. Stories about myself. Stories about my friends. Stories about my parents. Stories about my bad fortune. Mostly, I tell my stories to my pen and paper. They are my good friends. Those who listen to me seriously. Sometimes they laugh with me. Sometimes they cry with me. Sometimes they angry with me when I paper my own realities. I DON’T know WHY but I LOVE them.  Maybe because they give me a warm company whether in bad or in good condition like a good friend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

नग्नता

  निर्जला अधिकारी ओछ्यानमा नाङ्गो पल्टिएको छु । जीउँका कपडाहरु लथालिङ्ग कोठाभरी छरीएका छन् । एकछिनअघि आगोझै तातेको शरीर सेलाएर चिसो भएको छ । शरीर शिथिल भएको छ र मन पनि । एक खाले ग्लानी मनभरी फैलीएको छ । तृप्त भएर पनि नभएझै आँखाभरी अनौठो सान्नाटाँ छाएको छ ।  उ गैसकेकी छ । शरीरमा अब रोमाञ्चकता बाकी छैन । छ त केवल  एक गाल्नी । शरीर नाङ्गो छ । नग्नता कुरुप हो वा सुन्दर मलाई थाहा छैन । तर किनकिन आफैलाई नियाल्दा आफै तर्सिदैछु । लाग्दैछ आजबाट म जो थिएँ त्यो रहिन । हिजोसम्म जसलाई म खराब ठान्थेँ आज म त्यहि खराब मानिस भएको छु । भोली आइतबार हो...... बिहानै उठेर गर्नुपर्ने कामको अर्को चाङ छ । र पनि आफैले आफैलाई सम्झाउँन सकेको छैन । कसरी केही मिनेटको सुखको लागि म आफ्ना पुराना सिद्वान्तहरुलाई एकाएक त्यागिदिन सक्छु । के सबै मानिसले शरीरको सुखको लागि सिद्वान्तको बोरा ओड्दैनन् । वा म त्यहि मानिसको जमात हँु जसको सिद्वान्त बन्द कोठाभित्र पस्ने बित्तिकै एकाएक मलिन हुन्छ । मैले कहिल्यै सोचेको थिइन, मैले पहिलोपटक कसैले चुम्ने काम शरीरको लागि मात्र गर्नेछु । हिजोसम्म मेरा लागि प्रेमको कसि पहिलो  र शरीर

मसिना कुरा –भाग ७

  दिन घमाइलो छ । आकाश खुल्ला छ । मानिसहरुको चहलपहल केही बाक्लो छ । पुजाकोठाबाट धुपको बास्नाले सडक र गल्लिहरु महकिँदै छन् । आजको बिहानी सोचेझै शान्त छैन । एकखाले चहलपहल हिजो देखीनै कायम छ । झ्यालमा बसेर बाहिर निहाल्दै छु । महिलाहरुमा बिसेष उत्साह छ, बिहानै नुहाएको कपाल फिजाउँदै दुवो र फूल टिप्दैमा उनीहरु मस्त छन् । यो तीजको बिहानी हो, आज टोल, छिमेक र सडक शान्त बन्न चाहेर पनि बन्न सक्दैन । आजबाट असोज लागेको छ । मौसममा चिसोपन बढ्न थालेको छ । बिस्तारै सयपत्रि र मखमली फूल्न थाल्नेछन् । हावामा सयपत्रिको महक मिस्निेछ । मलाई कहिलेकाही यो सब बारे सोचिबस्दा कुनै चक्रझै लाग्छ । हरेक बर्ष यसरी नै चाडबाडहरु भित्रने गर्छन् र यसरी नै हामीलाई लाग्छ यो कुनै नौलो चाड होइन र पनि नौलो हो । कहिलेकाही लाग्छ यी चाडबाडहरुलाई म अबलोकन मात्र गर्छु । म यसमा प्रत्यक्ष सहभागीता जनाउँदिन । हिजो जस्तो थियो मेरो लागि आज पनि उही हो । यति हो बाहिर हेर्दा अल्लि फरकझै लाग्छ । भर्खरै चियाको गिलास रित्ताएको छु । औलाहरु किबोडमा छन्, सिध्याउनुपर्ने काम चाङ लागेको छ । र पनि मलाई यसरी अक्षरहरुमा पोखिन रमाइलो लाग्छ ।  गर्

अन्त्य

 अन्त्य निर्जला अधिकारी यो यात्राको अन्त्य होइन । न सुरुवात हो । वा यो  उसले भनेझै जीवनको अप्रत्याशितताको उपज पनि हुनसक्छ । थाहा छैन यो के हो ...... जे पनि हुनसक्छ । सम्बन्धलाई धागोले नाप्न खोज्ने हो भने यो केही होइन । ऊ अब सदाका लागी टाढा जाँदैछ । म पनि अलबिदा भन्दैछु शुभकामनाका साथ । यो उसको अन्तिम बिदाई  होइन तर उसको र मेरो सम्बन्धको बिदाई भने पक्कै हो । थाहा छैन त्यो पनि होइन की । म दुबिधामा छु, भावनाहरु उर्लीएका छन् तर शब्द छैनन् । अन्त्यमा म लेख्छु “धन्यबाद, मैले तिमीलाई भेट,े यो भर्चुअल संसारमा भौतिक संसारमा नभएपनि । म खुसी छु र हुनेछु” ...... मेरो अन्तिम डिएम उसको लागी यही थियो  । उसले लभ रियाक्ट गर्यो । र यो हाम्रो अन्तिम संवाद रहने कुरा जनायो ऊ भोलीपल्टबाट टुइटरको संसारबाट बिदा लिदैँ थियो ।  जुन उसको र मेरो सम्बन्धको अन्तिम यर्थाथ थियो । म उस्लाई यो यर्थाथलाई बदलौ भन्न पनि सक्दैनथेँ । मेरो लागी टुइटरको दुनियामा भेटेको र त्यहीबाट छुटेको ऊ पहिलो र अन्तिम ब्यक्ति होइन । र पनि बिशेष पक्कै हो । म उसलाई यो ढुङ्गा माटोको संसारमा भेटेपनि चिन्नेछैन । म खोज्दै हिटेपनि भेट्ने छै